Tuesday, March 18, 2014

After THAT I need a drink!

Ever since the husband and I discovered Pisco Sours at Café Atlantico in DC many moons and fewer children ago I’ve been seriously addicted to cocktails with egg whites. And thanks to a vintage British TV series I think I’ve just found myself a new summer obsession: The White Lady.


Here’s the recipe, both in a modern iteration and in its original, 1910 forms (a traditionalist, in this as in other things, I am gravitating towards the latter):


2 oz gin 
1 egg white
1 oz light cream
1 tsp superfine sugar

In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine all of the ingredients. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass.
19% (38 proof)
Serve in: Cocktail Glass
2 jiggers gin
1 jigger Cointreau 
1 jigger lemon juice
1/2 egg white

Shake vigourously with plenty of ice.
27% (54 proof)
Serve in: Cocktail Glass




A French cocktail blogger is also smitten, and suggests the following, which I am tempted to quote in French, for that inimitable flair:
Ma petite touche personnelle: En refaisant les essais à la boutique pour la mise en avant, j’ai aussi essayé d’ajouter au cocktail deux gouttes d’Angostura Bitters OrangeCe n’est pas forcément un ingrédient qu’on a chez soi, et il n’est pas indispensable, mais si vous l’avez, essayez. Le bitter apporte une pointe d’amertume et de caractère très appréciable!

Cocktail party sometime this summer anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Coctail party yes! Not a fan of Pisco Sour but would happily have a Daiquiri or preferable a mojito. PS. I was drinking mojitos LONG before it was "in".DS. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete