Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Odds on Betrayal

Cameron Diaz, in an interview with OK Mag for her new movie The Other Woman (trailer ) made a bold statement:  ““Everybody has been cheated on, everyone will be cheated on. I can’t fix that, I don’t know how, I don’t have any judgment on anybody, I don’t know how to fix the problem.” (Hat Tip "Independent")

Sure, Diaz managed to date the grossest man on earth, ARod (remember this? ), and she’s an actress in LalaLand, but her words rang a bell for me. A few years back I had a drink in a swanky bar in the Tel Aviv port with a guy I used to be friends with in grad school. When we met he was married to a woman and they were the best, most solid academic success story ever, at least in their own eyes. By the time the drink occurred they were divorced, and the guy, lets call him Y, was living with a boyfriend. Granted, the former couple kept their successful academic careers, so at least something remained constant. Anyways. We’re done having the one drink, conversation lags as it does when people have known each other too long and t  too much dirty water has passed under the bridge,  I get up to go back home, explaining that I left husband and kids and need to return. Frankly the husband and kids were an excuse, but for Y they were a red flag. Almost yelling (he did finish my drink as well as his, so hey, maybe it went to his head) Y started admonishing me for my poor sense of social priority. “Men,” he said in his best professorial tone, “will always cheat. And if you dream that your husband will be faithful to you, you are deluded or dumb. There will be a work trip, a situation, and he will cheat. The best you can do is cheat on him as well.” I can’t vouch that rendition is verbatim, but the gist is true.  I left. We have not met since.
But now an authority on life such as Cameron Diaz concurs.


So ladies – what do you think? Everybody cheats some time? All the time? And maybe I shouldn’t even be bothered?

No comments:

Post a Comment