Wednesday, March 19, 2014

демисезонное пальто or: The Demi-Season Coat

When I was a kid, in Moscow, the capital  of scarcity and central economy, my mother and grandmother would have lengthy, often anxious discussions about an item not always easy to come by - демисезонное пальто - or a coat fit for when the seasons change, for fall and spring.  I would imagine that both of them would approve for that particular sartorial mission of the kind of coats that Scandal's Olivia Pope tends to wear, in white or pale gray.
In Israel, where winter is for all intents and purposes a fall there was no need for sturdier outerwear  (although I have heard stories of the old German-born ladies arriving at concert halls in balmy Tel Aviv wearing their furs) and it wasn’t until I decided to decamp to Boston that I have come to appreciate the variations in warmth, length, and purpose that radically changeable weather dictates. So now I have many a coat for many a day – yet somehow I always feel a coat short.
My current obsession has to do with lifestyle as much as it does with climate. Since joining the ranks of the picking-up-moms (quite a change from my old life when teachers would never recognize me and school principles would glance disapprovingly as I occasionally appeared on premises) I have realized that my working wool coats are too much for my new role: too long, too black, too everything.  One, black and military inspired that I’ve worn in Amsterdam on that lovely trip with A & A three years ago, is too cumbersome to drive and hop in and out of a car with. The other – well, it is no longer in great shape but wearing a Diane Von Furstenberg coat that ma-in-law got for me when I was pregnant with Yoyo seems a terrible waste.

Here’s what I need in a perfect demi-season, mom-no-longer-as-much-on- a-run coat:

Length: thigh high (otherwise known as a car coat length, appropriately enough)
Necessary Features: Hood
Warmth: medium. For the 40s and low 50s
Color: not black

I’ve found what I’m looking for at Zara, but sadly it is out of stock. Nonetheless check it out:


Oh well, there is always Ebay!

No comments:

Post a Comment