Friday, March 21, 2014

In Praise of the Color Orange

I’m getting ready to go to a super formal wedding in Houston.  So formal that apparently floor length gowns are required! Wish I would have realized that a bit earlier than a day ago, since now it is rather late to be desperately searching for something I will never wear again. That got me thinking of dressy items in m closet that I have purchased and have never worn. Case in point: a lovely shantung silk dress coat from H&M.
Why didn’t I, you may ask? The same reason I bought it in the first place: its color. Vibrantly citrusy it called me from the rack, but every time I’d put it on I felt like a giant beacon of orangeness. Trying it on in preparation for this wedding, however, I thought to myself that orange needs to be embraced. Orange, after all, can make you happier.

Apparently Zara felt the same. Their site has a whole section devoted to the color – “Orange Mood” they call it. If you click however, not much is truly orange – and yes, I am that exacting about my colors. 

To prove my point please take a look at this:

Lovely, but calling it ‘tangerine,’ dear Zara, doesn’t make it so! A punched up yellow cannot pass for orange. 
Most of the other ‘orange mood’ items are likewise in this vibrant, gorgeous yellow, but not the orange they claim to be, or, if they actually DO use orange it is in a supporting role only, and a minor one at that:



Lets talk color wheel, people. Orange, you see, is a color of many shades, running the gamut from yellow to red.  Most of these, for example, I would NOT consider true orange:


This, on the other hand, is the perfect Platonic Orange:


And so I’m back with my dress coat. It is so perfectly orange it glows..  I really really ought to give it a whirl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment