Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dress Your Life - Respectable - Nay, Great! - Hoodie


Its cold here in the northeast. Today was drizzly and cold, requiring multiple layers to keep yourself from chilling your core.  I found myself reverting to a disgustingly old, frayed, dirty black hoodie under my coat. It certainly provided the warmth, but it was style-kryptonite, the very essence of anti-style. I will confess to ye all that I am wearing it now as I type. And I solemnly promise I will never ever wear it in public again.

The point is that hoodies - whether with hoods or without - are probably one of the most abused items in your arsenal. Which is precisely why they concern our DRESS YOUR LIFE manifesto.

A day-in day-out staple of your closet it shoudl be stylish, flattering, and a little unusual. You should feel as good in it as in your highest, chicest heels. It should provide not just physical warmth but also the warmth of knowing you look good.

These are also the reasons why you should not feel guilty investing in a great hoodie. Your investment shall be returned in full.

Here is what I require in a hoodie:
- no, it does not have to have a hood, although it is a bonus
- needs to have at least one interesting design detail that would set it apart
- needs to be closeable. As in fastened if desired.

Color? I always go for either black/gray/white in a staple item.

Here's a rundown of current retail offerings, in our usual price-point categorization:

DREAM:

1) the utlimately perfect hoodie, from Helmut Lang (NK, I LOOOVE my black version! which is why it is saved for special occasions...)



WISH:
1) RevolveClothing - fantastic zipper placement:
2) A simple hoddie, refined, from Lululemon:

3) polka dots at Barneys!: 

3) Sleek, at Nordstrom:

4) Stripes at Splendid:

WANT:
1) This, from Anthropologie, comes not just in khaki but in white as well (which is what I would get!):


2) Moto at Nordstrom:


No comments:

Post a Comment