Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wear To Work Series: What to Pair With Navy?

It is spring, even in polar-vortexed Boston. My fingers are itching for a new wardrobe. To exorcise my lust, virtual shopping ensues.

A few caveats, ladies, before we dive into this.

‘Wear to Work’ – does not mean YOUR work. It is that perfect, imaginary workplace, both chic and slightly formal, where you dress up, but are allowed every now and then to dress down. A place where you want to look professional but funky, formal yet retain your edge. Most of us do not work there. That said, most of the basic rules that underlie these posts are applicable to all wardrobe – just take it down a notch or two on the ladder of formality. How? Lower the heel, remove the structure from the garment, dull the color contrast – and presto, you’re in your average office situation.

“Wear” has to do with real bodies, of different shapes and sizes. There is no ONE FIT ALL rule in dressing well. If you have short legs you can’t wear the same color contrasting bottoms as a girl with mile high ones. If you have hips stay away from peplum tops. The list goes on, but like with caveat number 1, you can adjust.

So let’s get crackin’.

In a neat fashion dogma reversal, if you asked me 10 years ago what I thought of folded or pushed up blazer sleeves I would gag, with an image of Don Johnson’s large, pinkish, blazer with upturned sleeves burning a hole in my mind’s eye. Now? I love ‘em. Black blazers are fantastic, but easily transgress into dressy. There is always gray, the new black, and my personal preference.

 But - How About Navy?

Navy, color of the Sloane Rangers. Color of neutral respectability. My mom’s favorite hue. It is a tricky color to get funky with.

My suggestions are:

1) The most obvious: Navy blazer + White slacks. Not too slim cut, for that Katherine Hepburn look with a good dash of sailor drag thrown in (needless to say I adore anything sailor. I own more striped items of clothing than a 19th century prison, and if I had the hips I’d never get out of sailor pants). Pair with solid color, probably white or dove gray on top, white shoes. Sandals would work too.

High End:
- wide
- Not that wide, but in my book a bit blah:

Given the neutral color architectural detail can work but will be tricky depending on length of blazer:


2) Punch a dull navy with color, like so: Navy Blazer + Red or Orange cropped pant. Slim cut, rolled up.  Red and navy are an expected combo, but orange and navy (especially if the navy is on the duller side tone-wise) is an awesome look. Pair again with either white, dove gray, or stripes. This one you can pull off with oxfords on the bottom, but if heels are your thing go for white or nude pumps.  Again, sandals would work as well.

- Killa:
- Hot

- I love the 'good girl' vibe of these if contrasted with some harder edge jewelry:

super classy:



3) Tone-on-Tone: Navy blazer on top + Different shade / pattern blue pant on bottom. Again, I would advocate for a slimmer cut, although here given that the color is not as wild as in option 2 you can go for structural detail – pleated waistline for example. I would recommend slightly rolled up hems for a spring-time look. Pairing here truly depends on your choice of pant and is therefore hard to generalize. 
High End: 
- Different blue 1
- Perfect ultramarine blue, one of my top 3 favorite colors on the spectrum:
- A cheap version of the above:


- Marant - too funky?
- same as the white ones above, by one of my absolute favorite brands - Zero Maria Cornejo:



- Cheaper version and not quite as dovish:

- Even Cheaper version and not quite as cute:

Cheaper & STRIPES!

Oh,yeah, and if you want a perfect sailor look - I'd kill for these (although getting the blazer color right will be tricky):

2 comments:

  1. You forgot navy and taupe/tan/cafe au lait. A really cool combo in my eyes. Especially if the blue is really saturated...
    What say ye, style goddess?

    Mrs. Goodsign

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Goodsign! I did not forget. Here's the problem: taupe/tan/cafe au lait can all look remarkably close to that most dreary of pant color designations: khaki. And there is nothing duller than navy and khaki. For that reason, and that reason alone I did not bring those up, or, for that matter, gray + navy. Those are for boring economists (yes, the husband thinks its a great color combo), they smell corporate and stale.
    That said: IF the blur is highly saturated and the taupe is actually a creamy cafe au lait cut from a really really rich cloth - then I approve.

    ReplyDelete