Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Trippy


Looking for jewelry to complete my 60s look for the Fashion Fantasy League, I got thinking about the penchant for faithfully reproduced flora and fauna that predominated jewelry design in the 50s and carried into the 60s. Personally, I never understood the need to recreate nature in anything - fabric prints, rug motifs, jewelry - all are more interesting to my eye if abstracted and geometric. But there is something to be said about the purly sensual, psychedelic quality of Victoire de Castellane's jewelry designs.

Like this:


Castellane, who got her start in fashion through Kaiser Karl at Chanel, where she oversaw the house's costume jewelry, has moved to Dior since.


 The audacious vibrancy of her colors and the figurative fidelity of her shapes make me what to see, if not wear.


If you happen to be in NY, her work can be seen at the Gagosian Gallery.


2 comments:

  1. Do you know Tzuri Gueta? http://www.tzurigueta.com/home2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! But you're right, it the exact same thing. I still don't think this makes for attractive jewelry to wear, but fantastic craft to see.

      Delete