Friday, April 11, 2014

Nostalgia Friday - Rose Print Leggings


Remember grunge? Remember when you wore Doc Martens or other combat boots over leggings with rose print, a huge flannel shirt on top.. ? Remember?
(I remember leafing through this editorial with Kristen McMenamy like it was yesterday. It wasn't)

Over the past few years some elements of grunge have been attempting to infiltrate back.. Like so:

Oversized flannel shirts are laughable, but I laughter is good for the soul.

Doc Martens are still the bomb. No, I wouldn't wear them myself, but the girl-child has had a pair since first grade (patent orange, yellow x2, currently hot pink, next blue with hearts) and she rocks them like a pro.

I have come around to wearing leggings again. No I don't believe that anyone, even pre-pubescent young girls, should wear them with short, tight fitting tops. But I have worn leggings with a tunic-length something on top with knee high boots or flats,  and not just on my way to the gym.

 Some fashion dogmas, however,  should not be reversed: Rose print leggings are vile.


Why would a poor clueless millennial want to wear their great-grandmother's sofa on their legs?  But they do, and stores oblige.

On my flight back from Tel Aviv I was sitting next to a fashion victim. She looked to be my age - but nostalgia is an emotion to be wallowed in privately, internally! - not splashed out on your extremities for the world to see.  I considered an intervention at 45,000 feet but the cramped leg space on Lufthansa prevented me taking matters into my own hands. That and the stern Teutonic stewardesses (or whatever they are called now). The victim escaped, taking her illness with her onto German soil..

No ladies, some fashion dogmas cannot be reversed.

For your Nostalgia Friday enjoyment, here are the Smashin Pumpkins:



1 comment:

  1. Oy those good old days. Smashing Pumpkins. I must admit I still listen to them some times ..secretly... and dance or headbang, ay my neck! Oy those gold old days.

    LP

    ReplyDelete