Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cannes can do

Greetings from London, ladies, where it is sunny (who would have thunk it?) and warm - and not just because I'm with wonderful friends, no, warm for real. After a year of listening to JV bemoan the state of British weather and explain all imperial pursuits as perpetrated in the name of sunshine, I come here and find the most delightful weather ever. HA!

Meanwhile in Cannes, ladies, all kinds of celebs are dressing all pretty and preening for the cameras.
Lets look at them, one by one:

Naomi Watts in Marchesa:

You know how I feel about Marchesa, ladies. I find most of their stuff overwrought and not in a good way. It is about embellishment rather than structure, and  lot of embellishment to boot. This is really no different. It is a rather classic dress, nothing about it is particularly new. The color is lovely, and the dress impactful, but so uninteresting.  I like the idea of wearing a necklace backwards and that seems the only interesting thing here, except it clashes a bit with the darker bling on her bodice. Overall verdict - lovely and boring. See for yourselves:


Julianne Moore: in as much as I adore Julianne Moore (and I do! I love her ability to laugh at herself, her comedic timing AND her hardcore dramatic chops - she really is a total package. And I am all about her red hair) her style can be a little bitty itty off. She likes complicated and smart fashion - but it does not always flatter her. But it always makes for a good conversation. Like so:


I like each of the pieces (both by Louis Vuitton) but I don't like them together on her. The combination makes her look stockier around the waist than she is. But it is interesting, and not boring, and I love the red of her hair with the oxblood leather.

Zoe Saladana is another risky dresser. Her turn at Cannes, however, is rather sedate if very pretty:
The first is a Victoria Beckham dress:


The second is a Jason Wu gown, and I like it much less (still pretty, sure, but kinda very 90s with the burnt velvet and all, non?)


Rounding up this post is Ziyi Zhang in Rolland Haute Couture.. Not sure how I feel about it, but I admire it in principle... Thoughts, ladies?

More later ladies, London is calling.

1 comment:

  1. I would love love the Rolland Haute Couture but I am really not a spiderman person.

    ReplyDelete