Friday, May 30, 2014

Nostalgia Friday - Can U Touch IT?

Back in the 80s drop crotch pants were the rage.

Remember this?


In Israel drop-crotch pants like these had a very unflattering name derived from an alternative use as a excrement-container...

Or this:

Oh, yeah, I'm talkin about this:


Them pants are making a come back.

For decades harem pants, or drop crotch pants lay dormant. They were not seen and we forgot about their existence. But a couple of years ago they plotted a return.  That little douche, Justin Bieber wears 'em:
But if it were only him, it wouldn't be an issue. A bigger problem is that a whole bunch of fashion-forward templates sport the drop-crotch as well.
Gwen Stephani:

Jennifer Aniston:

Halle Berry:

In fact, Halle is a repeat offender:



Her last outing:

This one prompted my favorite blogger, Lainey, to sing their praises. Lainey, who calls these "man repeller pants" thinks they are stylish and cool. These are her favorite pair from her own closet:




I love reading Lainey's takes on gossip - she makes it smart! - but her fashion sense tends towards the 'too-much'.  I understand the desire for a slouchy yet interesting pant after being inundated for what seems like forever with skinnies.

But this?

Or this?

These, ladies, are NOT the solution.

The drop crotch are a fashion dogma that in my mind should never be reversed. Some fashion traumas of adolescence burn still in a forbidden way.

Ladies, step away from the drop-crotch!

If you want a pair with visual interest and room go for the wrap pant instead. I introduce to you my newest obsession:


I have been dreaming about these babies (by Helmut Lang, who else?) for over a month. Considering starting a collection box.

A few of these exist in the high-end universe:
Brunello:

And even better pair from Iceberg that are perfect, but utterly out of reach:
This micro-trend has not filtered down to High-Street stores yet. Lets hope it does... And meanwhile, ladies:


 U Can't Touch It!

3 comments:

  1. I have them too :) (and I am not talking about the fancy ones)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, you need to come out as the owner ;-)! And then we can discuss your closet issue!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a reason I did not put down my name...want to remain anonymous to the world... :)

    ReplyDelete