Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Jerusalem Day!!



Today my home city celebrates, making me wish the next month, until I'm back surrounded by its golden limestone, passes quicker. Despite the softness of its stone it is a hard city, difficult to live in for a multitude of reasons ranging from the hedonistic (the beach is an hour away!) to the historical (the weight of centuries of conflict is overwhelming) to the cultural (the strangle of the Orthodoxy), but I miss it. My family, my friends, and that golden light that is spread over it, like a translucent soft comforter, when the sun sets.

Apologies for the corniness factor, ladies, but it is the original, and the best, and the poetry of lyrics, really, is wonderful:
אך בבואי היום לשיר לך
ולך לקשור כתרים
קטונתי מצעיר בנייך
ומאחרון המשוררים.
כי שמך צורב את השפתיים
כנשיקת שרף
אם אשכחך ירושלים
אשר כולה זהב





In Jerusalem's honor lets look at some gold, why don't we, ladies?

And not just any gold. I adore rose gold, which a couple of years ago had a huge comeback, but I call dibs, because I have loved it forever, since childhood. Rose gold was the only gold readily available in the USSR. I suppose that had to do with the fact that it is a copper and gold alloy, cheaper because contaminated by another metal.

I like contamination.

What little jewelry I have from my grandmothers is rose gold, as is my wedding band, given to the husband when he first appeared on this planet by his great-grandmother.

Rose gold is earthier, warmer than its purer cousin. It is less metal, more flesh.

Which is also why I think it is more flattering..

Here's a selection, ladies...Mostly earrings, some necklaces, some rings..

DREAM:

Saks:

Todd Reed:
Todd Reed 2:

Quadrum (my favorite super high end jewelry store in MA):

Todd Pownell:

WISH:

Neiman:

Neiman:
Barneys:
Barneys:


WANT:

Eddie Borgo:

Jules Smith:


Barneys:


Minyasi:








2 comments:

  1. My recent gold obsession is shai Lahover http://www.shay-lahover.com/english.htm
    and of course the timeless Hella Ganor http://www.hellaganor.com/
    both not rose though lahover has some (part of the ethnic style, i guess).

    goodsign

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buba, your names are as numerous as those of the one and only... ;-) I hope your husband will forgive my blasphemy.
    I think while I'm in Israel I will have to write a post on Israeli jewelry design. With some research. Who is up for it?

    ReplyDelete