Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Jeans of the moment

For years I've focused on black jeans (skinny, faded skinny, super skinny, trouser) but this summer the jean of the moment is not black, nor color, nor is it actually even dark blue - a washed-out denim rules the day.

Much of what is out there is supplemented by slashes and cuts, but I am nor sure that I like artificially distressed  and torn denim for ladies of a certain age (and that age is really anywhere north of 35).

What I want in my new pair of washed out jeans is this:

- a perfect pale clue color, not too white
- a slim but not too skinny (as in jegging) leg
- some stretch  (I would want to do the boyfriend cut but I'm too hippy for that)
- a fairly high rise to keep my muffin top under control
- a fairly cropped length, because the best way to wear washed-out jeans is with flats
- and absolutely no rips

Can it be done?

It wasn't easy. The amount of distressing out there is, well, distressing. But here is what I found:

DREAM:
Stella (a good cut, but a touch too dark):



WISH (the sweet spot for 99% of jeans):

Rag &Bone, Dre Boyfriend:


True Religion, Serena:

Frame denim, Le Garcon:


High Kai, Nudie (these might be contenders):


As are these: Acquaverde, Gretta:

Mother, The Looker:

WANT:

Gap, Curvy Skinny High Rise:
Ann Taylor Loft:


ASOS:

The next few items are from Bluefly, a good place for designer on discount, if they have your size:

Notify, Hellebora:

AG, Piper: If these were a shade lighter I'd be all over them - slouch but with stretch!


1 comment: